… or you could just stack gifts in the shape of a Christmas tree?
Grist’s Dumbra has suggestions for greens looking for an eco-friendly Christmas. Instead of a traditional fresh-cut or artificial tree:
- Get a permit to cut a tree on National Forest land, thus helping with needed maintenance.
- Choose a living tree and plant it later.
- Rent a living tree that will be planted later (currently an option in Oregon and California).
- Buy and decorate a potted (and therefore reusable) Norfolk pine.
- Build your own tree from pruned branches and chicken wire.
- String lights on a pine-cone wreath.
- Stack gifts in the shape of a Christmas tree.
- Decorate a mannequin, or a sideboard full of tiki mugs.
- Make a Yule log.
- Decorate a wooden drying rack or mantelpiece.
- Make a cheese sculpture.