Summary. Tyrone Hayes is a researcher at the University of California-Berkeley who claims his research shows that the herbicide atrazine harms frogs.
- Hayes has a history of:
- Sub-standard procedures. Not following Good Laboratory Practices;
- Secret methods. Not sharing his methods with other scientists; and
- Secret data. Refusing to provide his original data to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Agenda. As an anti-atrazine activist, Hayes:
- Recruits members to his anti-antrazine AtrazineLovers’ Network;
- Encourages people to complain about [[atrazine]] to the EPA, Congress and Syngenta;
- Has received funding from anti-pesticide activist groups like the World Wildlife Fund and the W. Alton Jones Foundation;
- Is promoted by the anti-pesticide Natural Resources Defense Council;
- Has received awards from anti-pesticide groups like Beyond Pesticides and the Pesticide Action Network (UK); and
- Works with Environmental Media Services.
- I’m not offended by the term ‘activist. Greenwire, August 26, 2010.
- I am biased because I’ve seen the data… I’m biased in that I don’t want [atrazine] in my water. Greenwire, August 26, 2010.
What Hayes’ victims have to say.
- Ethics complaint filed against Hayes by Syngenta, Syngenta, July 19, 2010.
- Hayes’ taunting e-mail raps, Syngenta.
- Avery A, Pesticide Activism: Fifty Years of Panic and Propaganda, Center for Global Food Issues, October 2010.
- Truitt G, The Unfriendly Side of Eco-Friendly, Hoosier Ag Today, October 10, 2010.
- Avery A, Tyrone Hayes—A Frog in His Throat, Center for Global Food Issue, September 16, 2010.
- Schulte S, Why Profane Emails from Atrazine Scientist Tyrone Hayes Are Important, Kansas Grains Blog, August 27, 2010.
- Frogs, Atrazine and the Nutty Professor, Atrazine News, August 13, 2010.
- Kaleita A, Environmentalist turns to e-bullying, Washington Times, August 11, 2010.
- Avery A, Atrazine: The Strange Case of Dr. Tyrone Hayes, AgSense.org, July 29, 2010.
- Avery A, EPA Exposes Tyrone Hayes — Again, Center for Global Food Issues, June 18, 2010.
- Hayes refuses to make data available to EPA, Letter to Syngenta from EPA, May 17, 2010.
- Milloy S, Poisoned Profits: Recycled Junk Science, FoxNews.com, August 7, 2008.
- Dini J, Fearing Frog Deformities: Media and Environmentalists Croaking in the Wind, Plating & Surface Finishing, December 2007.
- EPA says Hayes data inadequate, EPA testimony before Minnesota House of Representatives, Februaqry 16, 2005.
- Milloy S, Freaky Frogs Not Linked With Herbicide, Says EPA, FoxNews.com, June 12, 2003.
- Milloy S, Freaky Frog Fraud, FoxNews.com, November 8, 2002.
- Avery A, Frog Sex-Change Claims Flawed, Center for Global Food Issues, October 30, 2002.
- Milloy S, Frog Study Leaps to Conclusions, FoxNews.com, April 19, 2002.