Claim: CO2 emissions flat in 2015; Decoupling of global emissions and economic growth confirmed

Nonsense. Atmospheric CO2 increased by a record amount in 2015.

From the IEA:

Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 8.57.55 AM

Here’s the report on the 2015 spike in atmospheric CO2.

The reason for the misinformation is to advance the false idea that economic growth can be decoupled from CO2 emissions.

5 thoughts on “Claim: CO2 emissions flat in 2015; Decoupling of global emissions and economic growth confirmed”

  1. I’ve seen multiple references to such claims – that CO2 has increased several ppm but there is a slowdown in fossil fuel-related emissions due chiefly to China efforts to reduce coal.
    https://theconversation.com/growth-in-fossil-fuel-emissions-slowed-in-2015-so-have-we-finally-reached-the-peak-51669

    Sounds like you may be assuming these were referring to the same figure (fossil fuel emissions and atmospheric CO2), but they are different figures. It would be interesting to hear what the full claimed explanation is.

  2. But I thought 2015 was supposedly “the world’s warmest year”.
    …. because of increasing CO2.

    The liars have forgotten this:

    ‘Tell the truth, it’s easier to remember’.

  3. Apples & oranges! Human sourced CO2 is usually under 1.5% of net annual gain, with oceanic release and flora accounting for the remaining 98.5%.

    It is possible (not too likely) that Human sourced emissions have started flatlining, but increased Natural Gas usage may be implicated, as well as declining economic activity.

    The jury is still out, but total CO2 additions to our atmosphere are still going up, without much effect on climate or even weather!!!

  4. “It is possible (not too likely) that Human sourced emissions have started flatlining, but increased Natural Gas usage may be implicated, as well as declining economic activity”

    And possibly, declining coal use in China as cited by this and every other article on the topic I’ve seen.

    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/19/chinas-coal-burning-in-significant-decline-figures-show

    I assume you are just assuming the China coal reduction is fabricated.

    And I assume it is not interesting to ask why you reject the evidence of CO2 role in climate (obvious observations of energy budget impact from enhanced greenhouse absorption), as it is not likely to be backed by a substantive evidence-based argument, but if you think it is feel free to share. E.g., the large number of joules accumulating in the ocean are not new joules in the climate system, they came from _____________ .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.